• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Social anxiety/awkwardness

liquidreality

Bluelighter
:( I hate my social anxiety and awkwardness makes me so sad. I made a thread in the lounge which people didn't think was very good and now I'm getting shit on for it. I come off as very weird and I just don't fit in anywhere. Any helpful advice to try and over come my social anxiety/awkwardness? Maybe I'll just stop posting here seeing as I don't seem to fit in :/ If this thread is in the wrong place I'm sorry.

Oh I also just loved the homophobic comment I received in said thread. I didn't choose to be gay.

Last edited:
Have you tried talking to a therapist?

Do you exercise regularly?

The therapist is in the works unfortunately there is a 1.5 month wait. I do walk most places if that counts as exercise if you're getting a structured exercise then no. I try to avoid people I don't know generally. Thank btw

Join a club of something you are interested in and meet people who have a similar interest then you have grounds to talk to them on a similar level without having to discuss anything you are uncomfortable with.
It might be a month and a half wait, still put your name down and try different things whilst you wait.
You might want to see about some volunteer work so you could get used to talking to people you don't know.
Homophobes are idiots and I would not bother with those sort of comments, nor would I even answer them with a reply. Imagine being scared of someone just because they don't think they same way, or see things from a different point of view thats just silly forget them. :)

... I made a thread in the lounge which people didn't think was very good and now I'm getting shit on for it... Any helpful advice to try and over come my social anxiety/awkwardness? Maybe I'll just stop posting here seeing as I don't seem to fit in :/

dont let anything said in the lounge get to you. except for a small minority of assholes, nobody actually intends to offend, and everything is meant to be taken in jest (though thick skin is almost a requirement, hence the 'post at your own risk' warning).

dont get discouraged. i have social anxiety too, and all of my good friends i met through bluelight. some of the most genuine, caring, and amazing people in the world post here. just stick with it, and you'll be a member of the community before you know it.

as for general tips for overcoming/dealing with social anxiety, alcohol, benzos, opioids, and mdma are good for making it incredibly easy to socialize, but only good for short-term use. for long-term, cognitive behavioral therapy and desensitization (through forcing yourself to be social) are the best options. medication (illicit or prescribed, like ssri's) should not be considered a long-term solution; i dont care what a therapist might say, medication should only supplement BCT not replace it, and should be dropped asap unless absolutely vital.

liquidreality said:
Oh I also just loved the homophobic comment I received in said thread. I didn't choose to be gay.
I make homophobic comments in the lounge and I'm the most homo homo on this board. Well perhaps not, but I'm pretty thoroughly homo. The really fucked up thing about socializing is that the less you care about it the more smoothly it goes. Many things in life require you to care more and put in more effort.

Also almost no one is skilled in every sort of social situation. Something that is said around this board sometimes is "lurk moar". It means that some time spent observing before joining in can be a big help. I'm sure you will find a place you fit in.

Therapy and meds might be adjuncts to your becoming more socially adept, but I think the real strides will be finding a group at some point in which you feel acceptance and then having your social needs become less desperate feeling. Trust me it will happen. :)

anxiety never goes away. awkwardness can be improved with knowledge and perception.

you were new to the lounge, and had a small post count, and your account is less than a year old. so you got burned. that's what's suppose to happen. that's the "social rule" in the lounge. the burning was only awkward on your side. the rest of the people thought you came there for it.

burns (homophobic or generic) are common among groups of young men. they're not meant to offend, they're meant to incite a strong reaction, so the group can see your strength. or lack of it, and establish pecking order. most young men welcome and appreciate this opportunity, and enjoy it. if you don't, grow a new perspective so you can, or pick a different crowd if you really cannot fathom satisfaction from such interactions.

i've learned a lot about communication on bluelight. just"lurk moar" first.

Anxiety can go away. It takes time, effort, and usually a whole lot of work. It's a shame that you have to wait a while to see a therapist, but that will be the best thing that you'll be able to do for this.

People who use slurs, jokingly or not, generally are not worthy of consideration. Fuck 'em.

I tend to get anxious in some social situations too...definitely not fun. I don't know what thread you are talking about, but people who feel the need to put others down are not worth it, whether online or in person. I've had some shitty friends in the past and now I'm more selective, and I don't really have much tolerance for personal attacks.

Don't worry you'll find people that you connect with, just keep working at it. Social skills improve with practice, you're not doomed to be anxious forever :)

Anxiety does go away... once you understand ze process under which ze brain functions you will know. Although you are right about anxiety about awkwardness being two different things.

Le explain:

Awkwardness: Caused by lack of experience in ze field on socialization. The more you talk, the less awkward you will be. Practice makes perfect!

Anxiety: It is caused by your brain thinking it is in danger when it knows its experiencing (or about to experience) something it thinks is dangerous and needs you to be on your toes. (eg tight-rope walking, bear wrestling, etc)

Both of the above can be fixed via desensitization. As tathra said. Force yourself to socialize. When you feel the anxiety running through your veins, FORCE YOURSELF. That will show your brain there's nothing to fear. Your brain will be like "oh lol. i'm so dumb. i thought i was gonna die or something. lolol. guess there's nothin to be afraid of then". Also by talking a lot you will become better at talking.

Simple but it takes some dedication & motivation!

DO IT.

liquidreality, The Dark Side is the bluelight place for support on drugs as a problem, mental health issues, and the like. There is even a social anxiety thread in there somewhere. You might stop in there and introduce yourself in the Introduction thread.

It just struck me know that it is kind of bizarre that the lounge sounds comfy and The Dark Side probably could sound foreboding.

liquidreality, The Dark Side is the bluelight place for support on drugs as a problem, mental health issues, and the like. There is even a social anxiety thread in there somewhere. You might stop in there and introduce yourself in the Introduction thread.

It just struck me know that it is kind of bizarre that the lounge sounds comfy and The Dark Side probably could sound foreboding.

Off topic but considering what the Dark Side forum is for perhaps you want to change the label. Perhaps the Recovery Suite. I dunno but I'm sure a thread on it would get the community to come up with a decent name that does not sound foreboding.

Not sure what to say about awkwardness and such, I've been that way my whole life. At least I can tell you that you are not alone.

Thanks for the help all!! I'll defiantly take your advice. The funny thing is when I'm down at a club mashed on some candy (which I take too much of) I'm the most confident person ever. I'm actually after making a few friends that way. Well, at least I'm going to get to see a therapies. I was reluctant to go seek help cause in my mind I felt like it was admitting I'm crazy.

Your not crazy, but anxiety sure as hell makes you feels like it. Jus noone come's out and say's it for that very same reason. But I found it extremely reassuring to learn that it's a completely normal symptom, and everyone with anxiety feels like they're "going crazy". Just be glad your not one of tho's people that get soo frightened that they end up in the hospital. The more you learn about your condition, the smaller and less scary it becomes.

Yes, I found MDMA is the perfect "cure" for anxiety, but only while your on it. But the side effects end up making it worse in the long run. In the peak of my raving day's (rollin once a week or two, and a whole cocktale of, well pretty much everything), my anxiety completely vanished for six months straight. Even the anticipation and excitement for the weekend was a cure in itself!! It was a miracle...

The only problem is that after a while, MDMA looses it's effect on you, and you find that your whole newfound loving persona was bassed on the drugs that are unreliable. And in the end, that causes the anxiety to multiply cuz now you've got a personallity disorder, and you rely on the drugs to be the YOU you want to be.

Drug's are an awesome escape, but when it comes down to ridding yourself from your problems for the rest of your life, you need to aproach it with a clear sober mind. Unless your planning on using for the rest of your life just to hid from problems, which doesn't sound too fun.

Imagine this <you can be that YOU without the need for any substance outside of your body. You won't even have to sacrifice the drug use, but you'll be doing them strictly for fun and wont have to even think about your persona+ you'll naturally be more responsible about em.>

I don't believe most social anxiety problems come from biological causes as much as from learned or conditioned responses. Conditioned responses can be reconditioned. What has been learned can not be unlearned though. You will know how to be socially anxious forever now. If you learn how to be comfortable in social situations I assume you will always be able to access a comfortable state during social situations as well.

Anxiety is usually an anticipation or fear of some undesirable outcome. What is the worst that can happen? How probable is any of those outcomes? If you are rejected or thought a weirdo, is that really that bad?

"I hate my social anxiety" this may seem stupidly nitpicky but it is interesting you chose my social anxiety. My is a possessive. Also "social anxiety" is a nominalization. Nominalizations are complex processes that are treated as nouns. It is helpful to think of them as something we do rather than something we are. Things we are or have are less accessible to change. Things we do, we can do differently. Neither conception is right or wrong but for many people a different conception can change the whole ballgame.

liquidreality,

I have suffered through periods of great social anxiety throughout my teens and young adulthood. Since then I've mostly been on an upward spiral. Recently I've had a few periods where I feel I've completely conquered the problem, I'm as comfortable as I can be with myself and others. Of course this is not true and at times I find the anxiety creeping back. Still, today, I'm miles away from where I was in my mid-teens.

Personally I have found that the root cause of my Social Anxiety was not being comfortable with myself. With tunnel-vision I would focus in on everything I was doing wrong, things and tendencies that made me different. I was rarely 'myself' around people other than my closest childhood friend. Situations involving possible rejection were incredibly difficult for me to handle (especially regarding friendships and relationships).

Later down the path, in my young adulthood, I made a pretty drastic change in my lifestyle. I met a lot of people that became important in my life. They were open-minded, real, and very empathetic. I went through some huge identity changes, kinda flopped out for a while and started partying hard, also did a lot of psychedelic exploring. During this phase, for the first time in my life, I felt like I had finally grown into my skin. Most of my social anxiety had been left behind with everything else I ditched. I felt comfortable. More than comfortable, I loved me. LSD also had a huge role, by motivating me to dig deeper and find the insight I was searching for.

The single most important thing in my solution was my friends. Having real, upfront, earnest, loving, understanding, and appreciative friends, with whom you don't feel uncomfortable being yourself around, is better than any drug. I found that having a group of people like this (however you need to find that, be it: clubs, sports, parties, raves, bands, etc) and opening up to them was the single greatest step in overcoming my social phobia.

Whatever you need to do in order to strengthen your love of self, do it. Test yourself, try to force some risk-taking on yourself, not focusing as much on the outcome as the experience. When rejection comes (as it will), try to laugh, brush it off, and tell yourself "practice makes perfect".

Anyways, getting a bit loopy by now. I'm sure you've already thought about much of this, but I just thought I'd bring my experience to the table in case you or someone else could gain something from it. I understand completely that to overcome this condition you have to find your own solution, through your own experience. No amount of words / stories / advice will fix you although it can be a good source of motivation.

Hopefully that didn't come out too scatter-brained for anyone to read. I sincerely wish you the best of luck, though I don't think you'll need it. I think you'll be just fine. It may take time, but luckily we have plenty of that. Remember its all mental and can always be dealt with.

:( I hate my social anxiety and awkwardness makes me so sad. I made a thread in the lounge which people didn't think was very good and now I'm getting shit on for it. I come off as very weird and I just don't fit in anywhere. Any helpful advice to try and over come my social anxiety/awkwardness? Maybe I'll just stop posting here seeing as I don't seem to fit in :/ If this thread is in the wrong place I'm sorry.

* they are not serious

* they are anons and are used to threads with more novelty than "i like my waterbed". your thread doesn't suck that much, but anyone can make such a thread. so they went all crazy. it's nothing about you or your likes

* they didn't even know that you are gay. they are playing with the word, not joking about your orientation

prescription: take things less seriously on internet discussion boards

i have aspergers and social anxiety. i hate it. i learn social norms slower than others. the only thing that helps (besides opiates, which isn't exactly a sustainable solution) is just awareness about what people are thinking, expect, how they may react, and awareness in general about how my anxety works in my brain (and how i think/feel differently)

i do feel like i've come a long way though

Last edited: